Every business owner wants to find ways to make operations more efficient. However, doing so is easier said than done. In most cases, your office’s productivity hinges on your employees. Keeping them engaged and motivated is the only way to keep things ticking over in an efficient manner.
At Nexgen, we regularly work with clients who are trying to boost their in-house productivity. With that in mind, here are six important ways to make your organisation more efficient:
1. Take Advantage of Technology
There is a wide assortment of high-tech solutions available to business owners who are eager to boost productivity in the workplace, and it’s easy to overlook their importance. In this case, we’re talking about more than desktop computers and a broadband internet connection. Instead, we’re suggesting that adopt a much broader set of technological and software-related solutions to enhance productivity.There are several productivity apps on the market – including Asana, which is used to manage projects and track work completed by your team.
- This app is particularly helpful for businesses where employees spend at least part of their time on the clock working remotely. Asana allows them to work efficiently from home without wasting time on a commute. This is likely to boost their morale, which is also a productivity boon.There are several other ways that technology can allow your team to get more done even when they aren’t located in the same physical location. Just bear in mind that too much mobility can lead to blurred lines between work life and home life. Even as you’re making it easier to manage employees from a distance, also make a point of respecting their space and personal lives.
2. Improve Communication within the Office
Poor communication works directly against in-house efficiency. In fact, solid communication is absolutely critical to your operation’s success. Good communication begins with a reliable business phone system – one that’s adequately equipped to handle the throughput of calls that you’ll be placing in house and receiving from off-site callers.
- Call backlogs and poor communication infrastructure can be detrimental to your organisation’s efficiency. But this is an area in which Nexgen can help. We can supply you with a high-quality office phone system on the cutting edge of current technological breakthroughs. This will enable better and faster connectivity in your business, ensuring you’re able to communicate effectively around the clock.
- Even more importantly, we’ll work with you to design a communication system that is perfectly suited to your operation. We firmly believe that there’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution, and we work hard to ensure that our clients end up with a communications system that is really going to meet their operational needs.
3. Company Standards Must Be Clearly Established
Do your employees have a clear understanding of what is expected of them? It’s important that professional standards are clearly outlined in the office. This makes it easier for personnel to modulate their own professional behaviour and stay on task. It also allows you, as the employer, to set up incentives and disciplinary protocol. Be clear with your employees in establishing what you expect from them, and then stick to those guidelines throughout.
4. Eliminate Distractions and Motivation-Killers
Some of the biggest detractors from office efficiency are in-house motivation killers. These could include elements of your office, but they are more likely to be rooted in the team member’s personalities as well as in the interactions between staff. Some people have more abrasive personalities than others, and this is going to bring morale and efficiency down in the office.
- To that end, it’s important to weed out toxic people in your ranks so that those who represent your company can get more done. One of the biggest productivity killers is an unclean office.
- Not having a clean office decreases productivity and looks bad to potential clients. Hiring a reliable office cleaner is essential to ensuring your office stays a productive work environment. It’s also important to note that some of these problems arise from the company culture rather than from the individuals who represent it.
- Employees need to feel that their hard work is appreciated and that there’s an avenue to professional development for them.
5. Be a Goal-Setting Organisation
It’s all but impossible measure your organisation’s efficiency without clearly outlined goals. It’s only by outlining what you hope to achieve that you can estimate your success in doing so. Clearly stated short-term goals are particularly important, as it’s easier for staff to keep these in mind and strive to complete them without succumbing to burnout or fatigue.In addition to setting goals, ongoing feedback is also instrumental in boosting in-house efficiency.
- Useful, actionable feedback helps employees know what they are doing right and where they can improve. Of course, it’s important to handle feedback sensitively, as too much negativity can dampen morale and lower productivity.
Nexgen Can Help You Improve Workplace Efficiency
Creating a more productive workplace is anything but easy. It requires patience and an ongoing commitment to monitoring and improving in-house working conditions. For our part at Nexgen, we’re committed to helping our clients trim the fat, so to speak, when it comes to their business telephone systems. We can also assist with some other technological needs to make your office run more efficiently. Contact us today to learn more.